Monday, March 16, 2009

When your body is your engine

I have been thinking quite a bit about the odd relationship I have with my own body as a bike commuter. Unlike the majority of people who get to work some other way (bus, carpool, car) in the event that my body is compromised, it affects my travel to work. This is made very clear to me this evening as I ready myself for tomorrow's ride.

On most Sunday afternoons I ready myself for the ride by checking over my bike, oiling the chain, testing the brakes, looking over the gear and wiping away the last week worth of grime. Today, as I was giving my bike the check over I bent down to see the tires and my legs screamed because I had gone running earlier. I am training for the Eugene Marathon (May 3, 09) and today I ran a 1/2 for training. While it felt great at the time, now as I contemplate my getting to work, I think I will need to leave a bit earlier in case my legs are sore or tired. This is unique to people who use their body as their transportation. When I go for a run, or play ultimate or whatever, I have to consider the impact that choice will have on my next morning's ride to work. So, tomorrow I will see how the legs feel. I have set the alarm a bit early just in case. I hope to see you on the path...

jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment