Thursday, April 2, 2009

The community

One thing I have been noticing quite a bit recently is the sense of community I feel each day as I ride the same route at the same time. Unlike my experience last year, driving each day to work in another town, the bike path creates a personal connection with people that pass each other each day. I have noticed that most of the people I recognize each day are people either going the opposite direction or people who are walkers--those going the same direction as me stay ahead or behind, so I don't know you...sorry. So, here are some of the members of my community:

Pink Helmet: Where I have pink fenders, he has a pink helmet. Every day he gives a biker wave as we pass. Usually near the fairgrounds, although if I leave early I'll pass him by Bailey Hill
Orange Coat: An older woman with long grey hair. She rides near Pink Helmet. She too gives a biker style wave.
Yoga Man: This man I pass on the Amazon path near Roosevelt Middle School where he sips tea and sits on a bench waiting for the sun to rise...I think
Three Ladies Walking: I pass these three women powerwalking each day near the Tunnel under Amazon parkway by Albertsons. They are chatty and clearly good friends.
Tall guy, short dog: This is a man that is quite tall and skinny and walks a very short dog (Corgi?) that wears a little jacket indicating the dog is a service animal. He always waves to me.
Goatee man and his kid: These guys ride in from near Bailey Hill to Chavez elementary every morning together. Very cool dad/kid bike thing. I can't wait for my daughter and I to ride to her school!

There are more, but those are the ones that stick out in my head right now. I often think about people that commute in big cities like NYC or Chicago having connections to others that have the same commuter schedule, and right here in Eugene I have a similar experience. Although I probably won't ever speak with any of them it is nice to see them each day. Sometimes, if I am late or early I look ahead to see what new people I will encounter.

Ride on.

Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment